Sunday, December 4, 2011

You want me to do what?

I started reading through Matthew/the Christmas story. In reading I was amazed by all that God was calling Mary and Joseph to, but specifically Joseph. God first called him to stay with a girl who was pregnant which I am sure was a huge deal then, especially in a small town. Task 1 that he probably wasn't too crazy about. Then once the baby was born, Herod was out to kill the baby, so God called him to travel from Bethelehem, where they were, to Egypt. I had never really thought to look at a map, but I did this week....it is a long long way. I would guess hundreds of miles to travel by foot or horse or whatever with a newborn. Task 2 he probably wasn't too crazy about. Then after they had settled in Egypt, Herod died and God told them it was safe to return to their land, but Bethlehem was not safe, so instead they traveled further north to Nazareth, so another super long journey to live in a new place with a baby. Task 3 he probably wasn't too crazy about. And I am guessing that he and Mary hadn't really spent much time together prior to their marriage so add marriage into that equation. Matthew then jumps to John the Baptist and Jesus once he is grown. But I still kept thinking about all the wildness God was calling these two ordinary people into.
So then it got me thinking about the things I grudgingly do that I think God is crazy for asking of me and it makes me look at it differently. And it makes me remember that I am being called into different things because of my weakness and inability as an ordinary person...that he has great plans for things and he is the one at work and I simply bring my inability and follow. Sounds so easy, right? If only my fears and my stupidity and selfishness didn't stand so firmly in the way of this. 

1 comment:

  1. I like your thoughts. And I thought my first year of marriage was "crazy" (new town, new job, new school, etc.). =)

    ReplyDelete