Sunday, October 27, 2013

Sunday

Again, I will try and upload photos tomorrow but today has been a good day....relaxing and exciting. The start of the week.
I woke up super early this morning and hiked up to a hill near the hospital with a lot of our team. We got up there while it was still dark and watched the sunrise. There is really no way to describe it...it is something that you will just have to see my pictures of. But it is a great way to start the week...being bathed in God's beauty and in the remembrance of his love for me. And his provision for me.
I got a quick power nap in and then went to church, which was rather lengthy today because they had some guest speakers (we'll say to the tune of 2 and a half hours).
The rest of the team got here this afternoon so we finished setting up and had our meeting.
This part of the trip has hit me hard the past few years. They have seen about 30 patients in clinic and there are probably 6 that are definite yes for surgery, probably 15 that are rheumatic cases that may be operated on by the adult team and then the rest are children we can do nothing for. And that is just the children who have lived long enough to show up here. I can't imagine the number that have passed already. It is really hard. It is hard to make these decisions. Hard to sit there and discuss them. Hard to realize even if we tried to fix them we would make some worse. It is just hard to see the scope of the problem and know we are putting a tiny bandaid on it. A bandaid that is super helpful for this handful of children, but there are so many here, in this one country.
I am so tired from waking up early for the hike that my brain doesn't have room for much more. Good night from Kenya.

No comments:

Post a Comment