Sunday, February 13, 2011

Work

I don't write about work much, not because I don't enjoy my job or because I hate it, sometimes it just feels like it is what it is. And given the difficult nature of working in the PICU, I also know I compartmentalize work to a degree and try and leave a lot of it there.
But this week I had a few little experiences that reminded me of why I do what I do, or atleast helped me see some of the good sides instead of the difficult sides. First was pretty simple...I went to the Vandy basketball game Thurs (go Dores!) and they recognized a little girl and her family during a timeout because she had been born with a congenital heart defect and it had been fixed at Vanderbilt. She was probably 10 years old and I know this sounds horrible, but a normal happy little girl out there. I forget the good or even don't get a glimpse of what happens to these kids later who we work so hard for. So I got a little teary eyed sitting there and was thankful to see that what can seem hard and futile sometimes is totally worth it. If you ask that family it is definitely worth it.
Then yesterday I got to take care of a kid who has been in the hospital for months and is finally doing well and it was just fun to see the positive of what has been a long struggle. And he has got a smile that helps remind me of some of the things I forget.
Sometimes I need these reminders to keep me going.

No comments:

Post a Comment