Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Hosea

Today my ipod thought I needed to hear Andrew Peterson's song Hosea twice during my workout. So I listened twice and felt like the second time around the words washed over me more. The story helps me get a slightly more tangible feel for what God's love is. Even then it still blows my mind all the time.
The song is sung from the perspective of Gomer, the prostitute that the Lord called Hosea to marry, likening his love to God's love for Israel...the kind of love that never walks away, that forgives, that keeps on loving, that loves no matter who you are or what you have done.
I am Gomer, so content to prowl in the city, looking for love, expecting to find it with each return. Then I remember, I hear the Lord's voice and I come back. But I forget as easily as I remembered and return in search of love. Peterson says it like this:
"I tell you that my love is true till it fades away like the morning dew."
"I stumbled and fell on the road on the way home."
But then Hosea comes in and carries her back home. Hosea 2: 14:  “Therefore I am now going to allure her; I will lead her into the wilderness and speak tenderly to her."
Do I hear that tender voice? Do I stop long enough to be led anywhere, or to be allured by that kind of love that never walks away, forgives, keeps on loving kind of love?

No comments:

Post a Comment