Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Back

Been on "vacation" at the lake. I feel like my whole life is technically a vacation right now, though it hasn't been feeling like one. Hopefully with the loss of crutches and gaining the ability to drive again I can reclaim a little more feel of vacation.
Tomorrow is my big milestone...4 weeks post surgery which means I get to start getting rid of the crutches, I can drive and I can start bending down fully again. It is crazy how training yourself to not do something for 4 weeks is even hard to un-do. My PT is letting me start putting more weight on it today and it is now so instinctual to not do any of those things that I find myself retraining my brain. If it is this hard with something physical, how hard is it for my brain to not fall into its ruts of coping and thinking?
I will add some lake photos in the next few days when I retrieve my camera from upstairs. Until then, I'll include a little section from The Hobbit, my latest read. I wanted to re-read this before the movie comes out this fall.
This section is from the very beginning and I will admit has got me thinking some about my own life and readiness for "adventure." This is the very first few pages of the book when Gandalf comes to invite Bilbo Baggins on the greatest adventure of his life. Bilbo is a homely hobbit who likes his comforts of a warm house and second dinners and does not want to disturb his routine. I know there are so many scriptural comparisons in Tolkien's books that I probably never see or understand, but I got this one and love it.
 Gandalf said, "But I have no time to blow smoke-rings this morning. I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it's very difficult to find anyone.".....
(Bilbo:) "Sorry! I don't want any adventures, thank you. Not today. Good Morning! But please come to tea-any time you like!".....
Gandalf in the meantime was still standing outside the door, and laughing long but quietly...Then he strode away, just about the time when Bilbo was finishing his second cake and beginning to think that he had escaped adventures very well."

No comments:

Post a Comment