Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Breakfast Quinoa

As I eat an essentially vegan diet I am always on the look out for good sources of protein and other things I miss out on by not eating meat. Quinoa is one I discovered awhile back...can't remember who told me about it, maybe my friend Marci at work, but it is a good staple. It is a grain but it is high in complete protein as well as manganese, phosphate, folate, magneisum, and iron. I usually eat it for dinner like I would eat rice or I add veggies and balsamic vinaigrette to it, but lately I have been trying out some breakfast quinoa recipies.
This is the best I have found so far...I adapted it a bit from a Martha Stewart recipe. It almost tastes like Kenyan porridge!
This should make about 4 servings:
2 cups almond milk
1 cup quinoa
3 T light brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
fresh or frozen fruit of choice (berries are good)
Bring the milk to a boil and then add the quinoa. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until almost all of the milk is absorbed. Then add the cinnamon and sugar and cover and let simmer until the milk is absorbed. Add the fruit for long enough for it to get warm. Yummy and delicious on a cold morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment