Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pumpkin Ravioli

When we were in Italy this summer my favorite meal (or I may have gotten it two nights in a row because it was so melt-in-your-mouth delicious) was Pumpkin Ravioli. It has just a hint of pumpkin flavor and really is incredibly amazing, especially when you eat it in the Italian culinary capital of Parma.
So, I have been searching for a recipe that I can actually make and found this. Well, actually it was a combo of two recipes...I had to get a little creative to come up with something I could eat in a non-dairy fashion.
I will start with a photo to entice you
So ingredients:
1 can pumpkin
1 package won-ton wrappers (yes, I cheated and did not make my own dough for the ravioli)
2 T breadcrumbs
2 T fresh grated parmesean cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh minced sage
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1/8 tsp nutmeg
Sauce:
1/2 cup butter (or a little less)
6 fresh sage leaves ripped into several pieces or 3/4 tsp ground sage
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Use paper towels to absorb some of the water from the pumpkin.
Mix pumpkin, breadcrumbs, cheese, spices together
Lay out several won-ton wrappers at a time. Get a small cup of water to use to seal the wrappers together.
Place a small amount of pumpkin mixture (about 1-2 tsp) onto the center of a won-ton, fold over into a triangle shape. Dip your fingertip in water and run it on the inside corners of the won-ton wrapper and press the two sides together to seal the won-ton.
Continue until all the pumpkin mixture is in the ravioli.
Bring a pot of water to boil. Place 10-15 (depending on size of pot) ravioli into the water and let boil until they float to the surface (3-5 minutes). Remove and keep warm while cooking the rest of the ravioli.
While the ravioli are cooking place the butter for the sauce in a saucepan and melt over medium heat. Add the sage and cook for a minute or two. Remove from heat and add the nutmeg.
Pour sauce over the ravioli and serve, sprinkling more cheese as desired.

I made this for my family when they were in town and they all liked it too. And Dad and I discovered that the leftover sage goes well on salad...gives it a different spin.

No comments:

Post a Comment