Sunday, October 14, 2012

Perfectionist

I have never thought I was a perfectionist. I have always been able to find someone in my life that fits into the box I have considered a perfectionist. But I am learning, like innumerable other words in my life, that perhaps my definition is not quite accurate.
In our girl's group book, The Gifts of Imperfection, by Brene Brown, she defines perfectionism. One part of her definition is this: perfectionism is more about perception – we want to be perceived as perfect. Again, this is unattainable – there is no way to control perception, regardless of how much time and energy we spend trying.
This is the aspect of perfectionism that I am learning has been ruling my life. I don't think in my head I am bothered if I don't perform the absolute best or "perfectly" however I want others to perceive me in a certain light, maybe not as perfect but as pretty darn good. The dictionary definition of perfect is: Having all the required or desirable elements, qualities, or characteristics; as good as it is possible to be. So if I use this definition then, yes, I guess I want people to perceive me as perfect.
When this goes unchecked, I live out of fear, I live out of shame, I feel judged, I zap all the freedom out of my life. I am incapable to live out of who I am because I let fear and shame guide my steps.
I am learning that part of living out of who I was created to be, living out of who God longs for me to be, is acknowledging my imperfection, of being okay with it and embracing it as part of who I am. I cannot walk in shame and fear and also walk in my calling because I am bound by making a mistake not by living freely.
Maybe some of this makes sense. In my head it has been transforming and freeing, even in spite of being made more aware of my inability.
In Brown's book she quotes a Leonard Cohen song: "There's a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in." Can you embrace the cracks in yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment