Sunday, October 10, 2010

6 month anniversary

It actually happened last week but I stopped today to think about it and realized that in technical terms, 6 months ago I found out I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. RA is an autoimmune disease that causes swelling of the areas around the joints. My brother pointed me recently to a NY Times article on living with RA and a woman they interviewed writes a blog about living with RA. I liked her definition of RA, so I am going to borrow it (and credit her of course) She talks about the immune system being an overachiever and because there is too much of certain inflammatory factors they are working overtime and attacking my own joints. They don't know what causes it or how to cure it. So it has become a part of life (oh yea, here is the link to the RA gal's blog).
I am sure I will talk about it from time to time as it has been a big part of the year 2010.
The first few months of adapting to RA I never thought I would say I would be thankful for it, but the Lord has been doing some slow work on my heart to where I can say I know that even this and how it affects my life is not too big for Him to handle. "As you do not know the path of the wind, or how the body is formed in a mother's womb, so you cannot understand the work of God, the Maker of all things." (Eccl 11:5).
Here is to 6 months and who knows how many more years of RA and being surprised and amazed at the many ways the Lord works. (I think for this one we need to clink glasses of wine together...pumpkin spice lattes aren't enough)

1 comment:

  1. love this. let's clink our wine glasses together tonight.

    ReplyDelete