Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Already Wed!

Wow. The week is going fast. Yesterday I flipped back to days and didn't work but for a few hours which was needed. Our patient from the first day, sue, had to go back to the or today because the vsd wasn't totally fixed and there was a spot on the aortic valve that needed fixing. She went back today and is doing okay still on the vent but looking good. Our other patient from yesterday was tony who we did a partial fix on two years ago and finished fixing yesterday. He looks great! Yesterday's other patient still needs some tuning up. Last night he screamed for water telling anyone who would listen and volunteered to walk over and get it himself. He has some feistiness to him. The plan is still to do two more cases today a shunt and a double chamber RV. We will see it is almost 6.
Today I donated blood at tenwek which I have never done before. We have had to give more of our patients this year so after walking to the blood bank one morning to get blood for someone and seeing how little blood they have I braved it. Nancy was great and it was a fun experience. I even convinced 3 people who have never donated to do it. So I made them stickers and we took tons of pictures.
One thing I have noticed here is how stoic these patients are. They rarely complain. There are so many things I love about this culture but I do think they could learn a little about expressing suffering. Or maybe suffering is so much a part of their lives that they expect it and don't need to scream about it like I do. Or maybe they scream to each other about their pain and don't need to complain. I know I need to talk about my suffering to let others in or it becomes a giant monster that runs wild. I am thankful that I have people who welcome that. And thankful to see how suffering is an expected part of life with God.
Some of our patients from last week are going home. Duncan left...he has been ready to go for a week. And the others are getting there slowly by slowly.
As always it is so beautiful here and I love my moments outside. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment