Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Books

Among the I think I am up to 6 books I have read, one was C.S. Lewis' The Problem of Pain. I felt like it was a good one to save for when I was walking through something I wasn't super pumped about. I really enjoyed it...particularly the chapters on Human Pain. If you only have time for the highlights then just read those two chapters.
Here are a few quotes that I have been thinking on, some you may have heard:
Pain insists upon being attended to. God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pain: it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world
When we are considering pain itself..we must be careful to attend to what we know and not to what we imagine
What is good in any painful experience is, for the sufferer, his submission to the will of God and for the spectators, the compassion aroused and the acts of mercy to which it leads
Our father refreshes us on the journey with some pleasant inns but will not encourage us to mistake them for home.
I know each of these statements are true. I need to hear them on repeat every day to actually begin to let my heart believe them, especially when walking through pain. But I imagine I am not alone in that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment