Thursday, March 31, 2011

Anniversary


A year ago today I got my official diagnosis of Rheumatoid Arthritis. At the time I was ready to know what was wrong with me and start on the path towards getting better. I still feel like I am learning a lot about this thing and how it affects me and how to live with. But I am glad to have one year under my belt and hopefully the next year will be better in terms of less pain.
Anniversaries are celebrations or commemorations of an event in the past. I don't want this anniversary or the anniversaries in the future to feel like commemorations; for me to be only wanting what life was before this. I want there to be some form of celebration in it or me feeling thankful or maybe atleast not mournful over it all. I have grieved and mourned over this, don't get me wrong, and I know there is still more of that to come. But in general I want to be thankful. I know my heart will not always feel that way and that is okay, but that is my hope.
Today I am thankful that a year has passed. I am thankful for a doctor who is caring and aggressive with taking this on. I am thankful that I am not alone. I am thankful for the places I was brought through prior to this that had prepared me for this. I am thankful that they have come up with medicine that can hopefully get me feeling better. I am thankful for people in my life who are loving me and walking with me.
If you google RA images you get all these gnarly looking hands (ie very scary looking). I wish they would not put all of these up 1. because they are gross and terrifying 2. because not everyone's hands look that that who have RA. So in my celebration, here are my RA hands.

2 comments:

  1. beautiful! those hands have touched many lives, and that is not even figurative: you're a nurse. without them, people would literally not be here. RA or not, your hands are the hands of Jesus here on earth, and I am blessed to hold yours on this journey of life, even if it's really awkward to hold hands 800+ miles away. i love you so much, friend!

    ReplyDelete