Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Summer Reading

I always love reading, but especially in the summer. Maybe it reminds me of sitting at the beach or reading for school, but I feel like I go on a reading surge during the summer.
My favorites so far this summer have been re-reading Les Miserables and this cute story called The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (I know, longest and strangest name ever). Les Mis is and will always remain a favorite...such a beautiful picture of grace over and over and over again.
And the Guernsey story was a great find. It is a book of letters after WW II between a writer, her friends, and the new friends she makes who lived in the German occupied Channel Islands during the War. Very interesting, very cute. I was laughing out loud but also pulled into the stories that unfolded.
I was very hesitant to read The Help mostly because I had heard mixed reviews and it is so popular and I don't always love the popular fiction. But it was better than I was anticipating, so I guess it wasn't a total waste of time.
Now I have moved on to the 13th Tale...a rec from my sister. So far so good.
Hopefully everyone else is enjoying some good summer reading too. It is good for the soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment