Monday, January 10, 2011

Monster of Florence

Book review time..have gotten to read too much on my month off from school to not comment on atleast one of them. My entertainment books are generally mysteries...I really enjoy them. But this is a different twist on the mystery. The Monster of Florence by Douglas Preston and Mario Spezi. Fascinating.

It is a true story (otherwise known as non-fiction but not boring) about a serial killer who struck in the area outside of Florence, Italy in the 80s. I love all things Italy, but regardless my of my bias, it is a fascinating story that happened and is in some ways still happening. And also crazy was still going on while I lived there; never heard one thing about it then.
One of the authors was a news reporter who was around during the 'Monster's' time and reported on all of the killings. Classic Italy: he was allowed a lot of freedom on crime scenes and found out info he probably shouldn't have, thus he knew every detail about that story and because of his knowledge had some of his own theories on who Il Monstre could be. The crime was not solved and 20 years later an American author moves outside of Florence to write a different book. He starts hearing of the Monster and becomes fascinated, thus the friendship and book written by these two authors. And this is the start of the story.
The old is retold and the two continue to probe and dig wanting to solve the crime. I won't spoil anything but it is a crazy ending...
John and I were both reading it over Christmas break and couldn't put it down. I beat him to the finish and as soon as I did Mom picked it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment