Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Shelter

I have been a Jars of Clay fan since their first album, which was my sophomore year of high school. Still really enjoy them, a lot. I like getting their new albums because the more times I listen to the songs I discover new lyrics or trinkets of truth to hold up later.
I didn't get their new album Shelter until after Christmas because I knew during December I would only listen to Christmas music. Shortly after, my ipod got stolen so I am still barely learning the songs.
My initial favorite, and the title track of the album, is the song Shelter. The idea comes from an Irish proverb that says "In the shelter of each other that people live."
The song paints this picture of community both in the harmony of many voices coming together to sing the chorus as well as in the lyrics. Here are some of the lyrics:


Cast off the robes you’re wearing
Set aside the names that you’ve been given
May this place of rest in the fold of your journey
Bind you to hope, you will never walk alone

In the shelter of each other, we will live, we will live
In the shelter of each other, we will live, we will live
Your arms are all around us

If our hearts have turned to stone
There is hope, we know the rocks will cry out
And the tears aren’t ours alone
Let them fall into the hands that hold us

Come away from where you’re hiding
Set aside the lies that you’ve been living
May this place of rest in the fold of your journey
Bind you to hope that we will never walk alone


We will always be somewhere in the midst of life's storms, but we are given this shelter knowing we are not walking alone, on multiple levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment