Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Come Thou Long Expected Jesus

This is one of my favorite Christmas song. Nothing against songs like Away in a Manger, but some Christmas songs do nothing for me when I listen to the lyrics as I am a lyrics girl. When I listen to a song, yes the tune and instrumentation are important, but I am really all for the lyrics...I love to dissect them, spend time wondering on the meaning if they are cryptic, and hang on to some bits of truth for use later when my brain needs a reminder.
So this is a great lyrics song for me.

Come, Thou long expected Jesus
Born to set Thy people free;
From our fears and sins release us,
Let us find our rest in Thee.
Israel's strength and consolation,
Hope of all the earth Thou art;
Dear desire of every nation,
Joy of every longing heart.

Born Thy people to deliver,
Born a child and yet a King,
Born to reign in us forever,
Now Thy gracious kingdom bring.
By Thine own eternal Spirit
Rule in all our hearts alone;
By Thine all sufficient merit,
Raise us to Thy glorious throne.

Bits of truth for me to mull over, look at my life though and remember on a rainy moment in the near future: from my sins and fears release me, let me find my rest in thee. Strength, hope, desire, and joy of my longing heart. Rule in my heart alone. Thine all sufficient merit.

1 comment:

  1. "the little Lord Jesus no crying he makes." what - you don't believe that line? =)

    come thou long expected Jesus. great hymn. i am listening to it now. on you tube. guess i should purchase my own copy. do you have one you recommend?

    ReplyDelete