Sunday, December 5, 2010

Mary's Words

The person I find myself wondering about the most in the Christmas story is Mary. Joseph, yes he had a big role to not leave Mary, etc. But Mary, this girl who was supposed to get married to Joseph...did they know each other, was this a marriage set up by family?....who then has to tell him that she is pregnant. Now explaining the craziness of the pregnancy to people you knew would be hard enough but if Mary and Joseph weren't star crosssed lovers, that had to be one challenging step. Then she has to know that everyone around her is talking about her...you can't hide a pregnancy. And if it was me I would feel so silly telling the story and explaining how I was pregnant and who was coming. So here she is the talk of the town, in a different place, with Joseph. Yet in the midst of all this stuff, she had heard an angel speak to her and tell her "Do not be afraid...For nothing is impossible with God." And she held onto those words and trusted them! When she goes to see Elizabeth these are her words: "My sould exalts in the Lord, and my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior. For He has regard for the humble state of His bondslave; For behold, from this time on all generations will count me blessed. For the Mighty One has done great things for me; and holy is His name." (Luke 1:46-48)
I cannot look on my own life in similar terms...Mary is saying she is blessed by this crazy situation. Did she really know the extent of who was slowly growing in her tummy and how he would change the world? Or did she trust so completely on her Lord that when he said Do not be afraid, she held fast to those words and obeyed?
Don't even get me started on what it would have been like raising the Messiah!

No comments:

Post a Comment