Thursday, December 16, 2010

Kairos

Several months back a friend guided me towards Ecclesiastes when I was facing some conflict. I ended up reading the whole book, but the passage he had referenced was 3:1-8. It's the one about a time to give birth, a time to die, etc...lots of times for lots of different things. At that point the Lord spoke through it to my situation.
Then today I went back to it and then randomly read this about the word time in a different book: The greek word kairos means time, not like what time is it or a time of day but "time that is characterized by what happens in it." (Buechner). So I started thinking about what time I am in right now in terms of what is happening. In this passage there are a lot of different "times": birth, death, plant, uproot, tear down, build up, weep, laugh, mourn, dance, be silent, talk, hate, love, search, give up as lost, etc. Some of these bring up a lot of questions, like there is a time to hate? What does that look like mixed with love?
But, right now I think I am in a time of silence, not a lot feels like it is necessarily happening, no major ups or downs, just a lot of steady as she goes. The Lord is being faithful in this and is continuing to speak in the silence, which I am thankful for. Personally I have a hard time with not equating that to being boring so this is a different lens for me to view it through. But, it is interesting to view events or things in your life through this lens...for instance moving and leaving things you love is a time to uproot and to see what is happening in that process of uprooting. Or relationships...knowing there are times to give up as lost in hopes that the Lord can redeem and bring a time for love as these are his relationships. Anyway, I could go on, but I won't...that is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment